Re: Pests on amorphophallus

  • Subject: Re: Pests on amorphophallus
  • From: Brian Williams <pugturd@windstream.net>
  • Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2011 16:45:37 -0500

I tested out several different pesticides last season to deal with
aphids scale and mealy bugs. I found that insecticidal soap and neem oil
would burn leaves in sun or in hot weather.  Malathion and Seven also
would burn the leaves.  Out of all the chemicals we tested Orthene
insecticide showed the most promise working well and not burning the
sensitive leaves that most aroids have. It is a strong chemical and
should be used as directed. I had hoped that some of the lesser
chemicals would have worked but the damage on the crop was very
noticeable and the bugs would return quickly and in some cases never
leave. I use it once I notice any out breaks now in the greenhouses.
Aroid-L mailing list