Re: apomictic?

Sue, I will try to answer this question about "apomictic" the way I have
always understood it. Daves answer would have left me with some questions
also.

from the Greek 'apo'  away from, out of, asunder, free

from the greek 'mixis' to mix.

so ... free from mixing

The American College Dictionary says..Reproduction without meiosis or
formation of gametes.

IN other words, plants that form seed without sexual union.

>>One is the result of sexual reproduction and will have shared genes from
both parent plants,

The statement that "one is the result of sexual reproduction" does not jibe
with my understanding of apomixis.

Some examples of Anthurium with this trait are: Anth. gracile, punctatum,
and scandens. As pointed out by Mike Madison, these anthuriums are often
found in assosiation with ant gardens and he feels that there may be some
association with apomixis and these gardens. Possibly the ants would keep
pollinators away and the plants needed another way to form seed.

>Apomixis is any form of asexual reproduction.
>Sue Zunino

Apomixis is NOT any form of asexual reproduction. Apomixis is asexual
reproduction involving flower parts. Seeds without sex.

other forms of asexual reproduction which are not apomixis are, cuttings,
leaf propagation, tissue culture, offsets, bulbils etc.

Neil Carroll