Re: apomictic?

On Tue, 23 Feb 1999 13:48:34 -0600, StellrJ@aol.com wrote:

>If the "normal" seedling is less vigorous than the apomictic ones--and would
>therefore be at a competitive disadvantage to them--why does the plant produce
>it?

Maybe sometimes it's a better plant (for the environment) and maybe
the plant produces lots of them "hoping" for that one superior one in
the lot. As I understand it, apomixis tends to happen in plants that
are optimally adapted to their environment, so they just produce lots
of clones of themselves on the principle that "you shouldn't argue
with success." But if conditions should change, these clones may not
be so well adapted, so it's a good idea to play it safe and make a few
plants that are different and may do better in the new environment.
--
Magda Plewinska                   mplewinska@mindspring.com
Miami, FL, USA