Re: Synandrospadix vermitoxicus

Dear Fausto,
This is what I have on the subject (internetsite of Paul Christian --did not
note his URL--)
Sipke Hoogma

This is a genus of only one species spread across Peru, Bolivia and
Argentina where our original plant came from, near Salta in the Northwest of
the country. It is a native of warm, dry thorn forest where it grows in
clearings and shady, stony places. The plant grows through the summer and is
dry and dormant in the winter. Indeed the tubers are best lifted and stored
in the house, bone dry, during their winter rest. 18C is ideal. Repot in
April-May or once a steady 12C can be maintained. Place each tuber in a
clay pot three times their own diameter in a compost of 30% loam, 50% sand
and 20% peat (by volume). Water carefully until growth is established then
water and feed freely with balanced fertiliser when in full growth. Cease
watering mid October. This species revels in full sun (or very light shade)
with a dry atmosphere - avoid too much humidity, it is not a jungle plant !

In the right conditions the leaves turn a beautiful glaucous blue-green.
Flowering takes place when the plant is fully developed over summer and
repeat flowers numbering up to six are recorded by the few people who grow
it. Flowers are made freely but seed-set is rare, indeed it has only done so
once and these are the seedlings, now grown-up and flowering themselves in

Tubers are about 10cm diameter and just under 50gm in weight. These are
naturally covered in tiny oxalate crystals which repel and kill insects and
wildlife, hence the latin name, the crystals may also irritate sensitive
human skins, so wash you hands after handling them and be warned that the
tubers, in common with most aroids, (Arum, Biarum, Arisaema etc) are
poisonous if eaten.