Black anthurium and Anth Peltigerum

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Black anthurium and Anth Peltigerum
  • From: Betsytrips@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 14:53:58 -0600 (CST)

Okay, I have promised some of you along the way that I would attempt to find
out if we could get some of the black anthurium from Colombia into this
country and how much they would cost. Well, the news is good, we can get
them, and the not so good is, they are not cheap. Not much I can do about
that one. I do not mind getting them out but my costs must be covered. Being
the time of year that it is and this winter in particular, they would have to
go out overnight mail and best from here is FedEx since we are their hub. I
can take them into their office until eleven at night and get them delivered
the next day. Remember also I told you they do not like summer heat. I have
lost many in the past so I do not want anyone to buy such without the
acceptance of the reality that it most likely is a higher altitude plant. I
have grown it for years and then have had it kick the bucket. I can tell you
the first time I saw this in a collection in Ecuador, I nearly lost control
of my bodily functions. The owner leaned over and cut the top off of the
plant and said to me something I shall never forget, "By sharing this with
you, I will have many more." Of course, he meant the plant would send out
side shoots on its base, and it did. The commercial grower tells me he has
seen the black puckered andreanum flowers get to the size of two of his open
hands. I have not seen this in reality, but I have seen a picture from the
Colombian grower and it was huge, much bigger than any andreanum I have ever
seen even the fancy commercial varieties out there at the florists. To the
best of my knowledge this plant has not been described botanically but I know
it is known about. Things in Colombia do not foster collecting by foreigners
or locals the same. Since there is a commercial market for this plant, the
Colombians will not give up the collecting data on it.

              Cost for small is $35.00 + shipping to me by the importer +
overnight
                        shipping to you.
              Cost of bigger is $50.00 + shipping to me by the importer
+overnight
                        shipping to you.

Importer also told me he had some Anthurium Peltigerum out of the Lita area
of Ecuador. Now this is a fairly low altitude plant and absolutely gorgeous.
Ask anyone who has ever had or collected this plant, this is one of the most
beautiful anthurium ever to be. It fits up there with the top of the line
...... Of course, it too is hard to grow. I am not going to lie to you, it is
not easy, but well worth the try because it is so beautiful. There is a line
drawing in Aroideana Volume 5, No 1, Page 27. It does not do it justice, but
it is can show you the shape of the leaf and the many veins in this beautiful
leaf. It has a pan velvet texture and a soft green color. I can remember the
first one I ever saw just stopped me in my tracks. I can remember just
looking at the leaf for many minutes and then, again and again. It is a tough
leaf..... It is gorgeous to say the least.

              $50.00 + shipping to me by the importer + overnight shipping
to you

The importer is coming into the country very soon so I need to know quickly
if you are interested in either of these anthuriums. You are welcome to call
and discuss it with me if that can be of help in making your decision.

I want to say one thing so it will be clear; I do not stand to make a dime on
this undertaking. I am willing to do it so you can get two very rare and
unusual anthuriums. Don't call and try to get the price down, it is exactly
the wholesale price the dealer is charging me. When he sells the plants
retail, it is much higher. I make no guarantees for these plants. I cannot
guarantee they will live or that they will have the flowers as big as the
biggest described. I can tell you that I will be giving my time and my
efforts to get these for you. It is your choice and your risk.

Betsy Feuerstein - 901 754 6271