Re: S/nettles/calaloo.

In a message dated 1/2/02 10:07:01 AM Eastern Standard Time,
ju-bo@email.msn.com writes:

<< But which one of the many 'stinging nettles', Jason??   In Trinidad there
 are at least 3 DIFFERENT stinging nettles, and here in Florida what looks
 exactly like the Trinidadian 'red' stinging nettle, (the least harmful of
 the 3) does not sting!

So far as I know, all those of the genus Urtica.  Once steamed a few minutes,
they no longer sting.

   I am told that it is used medicinally by Guatemalan
 women. (By the way, Haitians look for, collect, cook and eat as one of their
 'calaloos' one of the other common bed-weeds with yellow flowers belonging
 to the Portulacaceae,

I believe I know that one, too; in this country we call it purslane.  Hadn't
heard of its being used for calaloo, though.  I'll have to try that.

 their other 'calaloo' is made from Colocasia (called
 'mazumbelle' in Haiti) leaves, now THERE is your Aroid link! >>