Re: Duration to first dormancy in Amorph. titanum

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: Duration to first dormancy in Amorph. titanum
  • From: Clark Riley <drriley@mypcr.com>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 08:52:01 -0600 (CST)

Under condition much poorer than David's, my seedlings of titanum
entered dormancy about 2 years after germination, with tubers about 2
inches, 5 cm. Dormancy under my home conditions lasts 2 -  6 months,
though I try to time dormancy breaking to very early Spring in order
to take advantage of the height-shortening effects of the Summer sun.
Each cycle has resulted in a 6 - 10 fold increase in the mass of the
tuber. As a house plant, I have found it big but adaptable.

Clark Riley
Baltimore, Maryland, USA
USDA Zone 6.5

>how long does it (normally) take to go into it's first dormancy for an Amorph.
>titanum seedling?
>Or in other words, how big is the tuber normally at that time or how
>many leafs
>has the plant made till then?
>I grow an Amorph. titanum, just making it's 3rd leaf (about 20 cm
>high (approx.
>8 inch) and about 9 mm (approx. 1/3 of an inch) in diameter at the base of the
>petiole) and wonder how long it will grow on and on making one leaf after
>anonther before going to sleep.
>Any suggestion or experience wellcome.

Clark T. Riley

Production Services by Clark Riley
Full Service  . . .  Pen to Page since 1990