Re: x amazonica parent

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: x amazonica parent
  • From: "Scott Hyndman" <hyndman@aroid.org>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 15:25:49 -0600 (CST)

Ben,

There was a discussion of the parentage of Alocasia x amazonica on Aroid-L
in 1999.  I found one of the discussion threads in the archives and included
it below.  Please keep us posted on your molecular evaluations as they are
very interesting.

Best regards,  Scott

> Also, what's the parentage of amazonica?

There was a thread on this topic late last year:  You can find it in the
archives at http://www.mallorn.com/lists/aroid-l/  According to Alocasia
expert David Burnett in his very informative and nicely illustrated "The
Cultivated Alocasia"
of Aroideana Volume 7, Numbers 3 and 4
(http://www.aroid.org/ias/Society/bk-issue.html), the parentage of Alocasia
amazonica is historically listed as A. lowii x A. sanderana.  However, I
spoke with noted aroid hybridizer John Banta today, and he gave me his
observations on the plant:  Some years ago John had hybridized A. sanderana
with A. watsoniana, and got progeny that were A. x amazonica in all
respects.  This seems very plausible to me after noting photos of the plants
in question in Burnett's book.  Alocasia watsoniana has distinctively
bullate leaves that seem to have carried over into the putative A. x
amazonica hybrid.  It is also possible according to John Banta that A.
sanderana has such dominant traits that it can cause hybrids with several
species, including A. lowii, to have the A. x amazonica
appearance.