Re: What amorphophallus is this?

In 1996 I germinated 20 A. titanum seeds, and all plants stayed awake for
better than 18 months, producing two, sometimes three leaves during that
period. There were no second tubers. I have talked with others who observed
identical behavior with titanum. That is, from seed multiple leaves were
very common, the oldest dying off as the new leaf was emerging.

After completing the first dormancy period, each tuber produced only one
leaf prior to dormancy. Based upon my experience with approximately 30
species of Amorphophallus, titanum appears to be the sole species that does
this.

Regarding multiple tubers, I have yet to observe splitting or the creation
of offsets in this species.

Titan is also unusual in that it awakens when it wants to, regardless of the
season. Here we are are in the coldest month of the year in south Florida
and I have one that just awakened! Now I have to worry about cold damage and
the resulting loss of a tuber!

Don Burns