RE: Xanthosoma robustum

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: RE: Xanthosoma robustum
  • From: "Eduardo Goncalves" <edggon@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 21:31:23 -0600 (CST)

Dear Marcel and Tom,

    I have cultivated X. robustum for some time (since 1999), and they are
thriving pretty nice around here. My plants were collected in Chiapas, close
to Palenque ruins and they can have "trunks" up to 1.8 m high, and leaves up
to 1.6 m long! They are also common in marshy road sides, but in this case
they are almost always without aerial stems.
    For those big Xanthosoma (like X. robustum, X. sagittifolium, X.
maffafa, X. atrovirens and  X. maximilianii), try half shade. My plants are
in pots (I don´t have much room here for big plants), but they will grow
much more in loose soil, saturated with humus and constantly wet. They also
like extra nitrogen, and a little of copper.  White flies are a real pain,
keep them far from you plants. You may also experiment some problems with
red mites. And remember, they are tropical plants and may get rot if it is
cold for much time. If you treat your plants this way, you will have an
"elephant ear" plant towering up to 3 m high, with luxurious bluish petioles
and pinkish spathes.

                       Very best wishes,

                              Eduardo.

>From: Tom Croat <Thomas.Croat@mobot.org>
>To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
>Subject: RE: Xanthosoma robustum
>Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 15:29:20 -0600 (CST)
>
>Dear Marcel:
>
>	It is nice to hear from you and will post a copy of this message on
>Aroid-L, our electronic newsletter for those interested in Araceae.   I was
>not aware that anyone had Xanthosoma robustum Schott in cultivation.  I
>have
>seen it growing in Mexico in Veracruz near Los Tuxtlas and it is quite a
>handsome plant.  As I recall it had a very short stem and was growing in a
>somewhat marshy area.  who determined your collection?
>
>	Not having this alive in my collection I can say little except in
>general terms.  I find that other species I grow do well in a loose soil
>mixture, the same as we use for all aroids, epiphytes included.   The pest
>we refer to here as "white fly" are a problem with all thin leaved genera,
>Caladium included but I don't know how that is controlled.  I will contact
>my grower, Cheryl Neuman to see if she can answer this.  Perhaps others on
>the list will have some more specific suggestions.
>
>	Tom

Eduardo G. Goncalves
Laboratorio de Fitoquimica
Depto. de Botanica - IB