New book on aroids!

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: New book on aroids!
  • From: "Eduardo Goncalves" <edggon@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 21:33:37 -0600 (CST)

Dear Aroiders,

    I just got my copy of the book "The tropical plants of R.Burle-Marx",
released by Brazilian Harri Lorenzi at the end of 2001. What a nice book!
Even having helped with the ID of the aroids, I am surprising with the final
result. There are 960 species inside, and more of less 215 are aroids! All
with colour pictures and notes in Portuguese and English. Did I mentioned
hard cover? My friend Lorenzi is famous in Brazil for other publications
(e.g. Brazilian Trees, Ornamental Plants of Brazil, all in Portuguese), that
are known to be usually easy to understand, have nice pictures and the best
thing: he really cares about the names he uses. Now, just try to wonder
pictures of usually flowering Philos, towering up to 6 m high, usually with
correct names. For those that do not know, Burle-Marx was one of the most
important landscaper designers of the world, having collected and cultivated
plants for more than 50 years. Based on his collection, it is easy to note
his preference for aroids. There are plants from South America, Africa, Asia
and from other continents too. His collection, in Rio de Janeiro
surroundings would make any aroid lover lost his/her faith in potted plants!
You can see the book in the URL below:

www.plantarum.com.br

   Unfortunately, the page above is still in Portuguese. If you want to
check this treasure (and others), learn Portuguese (just kidding) or wait a
few days for the promised english version.  If you decided to buy (about R$
90,00 or approximately US$ 39,00) contact them directly be email:
<plantarum@plantarum.com.br>.
    I won´t even mention all the heliconias, gingers, begonias, cycads,
palms and Maranthaceae...

                   Best wishes,

                             Eduardo.

Eduardo G. Goncalves