Re: Peroxide

In a message dated 12/13/1 4:07:34 AM, Alektra@aol.com writes:

<< I think Ted put the main advantage and disadvantage of hydrogen peroxide
quite beautifully.

Now I'm going to shock everybody with a very naive question. It's naive
because I know nothing about aroid tubers (except how delicious taro is as
poi and chips and chopped up in chicken stew)...

Is there anything wrong with using a dilute solution of sodium hypochlorite
for killing pathogens? After all, when doing home tissue culturing, you rinse
the leaf pieces in it before you put them on the growth medium in the baby
food jars, and it doesn't kill them. In fact, the sodium hypochlorite is
necessary to prevent the leaf pieces from being overrun by microorganisms
before the baby plants can grow.

My naive thoughts are as follows:
-Nonpoisonous
-Compared to complex organics, less persistent
-Not absorbed by tissues (the prize plant or our skin and lungs)
-Breaks down into water and ordinary salt
-Even cheaper than hydrogen peroxide
-Does not oxidize living tissue
-As for friendly microorganisms, they can repopulate the sanitized areas very
rapidly by spreading from the healthy surface of a tuber, or from healthy dirt
-Very low concentrations will kill germs
-You don't have to wear a respirator or chase away the kids and pets.

May I please get the thoughts of the better-informed about this?