Re: polyploidy

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: polyploidy
  • From: Denis <denis@skg.com>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 14:01:25 -0600 (CST)

Dear Ben:

I suppose the only way to find our is to compare the original clone of
A. x Amazonica to the mutated one we call A. X Polly and see if there is
significant differences. Perhaps Aloc. x Polly is just aneuploid with
just a few extra pieces of chromasome not whole extra sets. Would your
tests show a 1 to 1 difference in DNA if the tetraploid instead of
diploid or triploid intead of diploid? What would the differences be?
What if the 2N number of chromasomes was different between the species
Aloc. reginula and the hybrid Alocasia Amazonica. How would the DNA
amounts differ by Chromasome counts only 2 to 4 different in number?

As soon as I get through the upcoming TPIE Trade Show in Ft Lauderdale,
I would be glad to send you fresh material for you to test on all the
plants that I currently have on hand: Polly, Amazonica, Lowii veitchii,
Lowii Grandis, zebrina Reticulata, tigrina superba, watsoniana,
sanderiana, longiloba and reginula. Let me know which varieties and what
parts you need? Do I need any special documentation?

Denis at Silver Krome Gardens, Inc.
Homestead Florida