Re: Why pronunciations are so confused

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: Why pronunciations are so confused
  • From: Neil Carroll <zzamia@hargray.com>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 13:36:44 -0600 (CST)

OH what the heck I may as well enter my $.02 worth. I like the following
taken from Stearn's Botanical Latin:

" Botanical Latin is essentially a written language, but the scientific
names of plants often occur in speech. How they are pronounced realy matters
little provided they sound pleasant and are understood by all concerned. "

He goes on to say that pronounciation with the rules of Classical Latin
probably get the best results....but I like the above quote....nobody's
wrong as long as everyone knows what they are talking about.