Re: Re: Ants! Every kind, Everywhere!

This sounds interesting John (although it probably is a "formed" boric acid product).  Dont you think there could be potential problems, when the ants eat stuff like this (and boric acid) then procede to go back into the nest in the pot and die.  Now you have hundreds or thousands of dead ants decomposing all with boric acid content (or other poison) leeching into the soil???

aroid-l@mobot.org wrote:
> off the record, there is a chinese product called "miracle ant chalk" that comes 2 three-inch sticks of white chalk per $2 yellow and orange cardboard box. it is not licensed and therefore not available from nurseries, but can be found
in chinatown groceries in major cities. it is said to contain pyrethrum or pyrethroids. works well indoors or on clay pots - just a single line across the ants column leads to the death of hundreds within hours. might be impractical on
dirt and probably not good to use if toddlers are around as it looks just like blackboard chalk.

john smolowe