DO NOT use "miracle ant chalk" Was Re: Ants! Every kind, Everywhere!

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: DO NOT use "miracle ant chalk" Was Re: Ants! Every kind, Everywhere!
  • From: Krzysztof Kozminski <kk@kozminski.com>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 12:41:03 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 22 Jan 2002, john s. smolowe wrote:

> off the record, there is a chinese product called "miracle ant chalk"
> that comes 2 three-inch sticks of white chalk per $2 yellow and orange
> cardboard box. it is not licensed and therefore not available from
> nurseries, but can be found in chinatown groceries in major cities. it
> is said to contain pyrethrum or pyrethroids. works well indoors or on
> clay pots - just a single line across the ants column leads to the
> death of hundreds within hours. might be impractical on dirt and
> probably not good to use if toddlers are around as it looks just like
> blackboard chalk.

This is an understatement of the century.  It is a HOMICIDAL idea to use
it around toddlers, and STUPID idea otherwise.

Check out this URL about the chalk:
http://www.cdpr.ca.gov/docs/archives/pressrls/1998/chalk.htm.

Some quotes from the above:

"Deltamethrin and cypermethrin are synthetic pyrethroids, a class of
insecticides that act on the nervous system. Overexposure to them can
produce serious health effects, including vomiting, stomach pains,
convulsions, tremors, coma, and death due to respiratory failure"

"analyses of colorful boxes typically used for these products has found
high levels of lead and other heavy metals"

"Consumers who have purchased these illegal products should dispose of
them at their local household hazardous waste facilities"

In California, this stuff is illegal and sellers can be fined up to $5K
for selling it.  "If anyone knows where such products are being sold,
please call DPR's Enforcement Branch, at (916) 445-3920, or the local
county agricultural commissioner,"

KK

> Donald Burns wrote:
>
> > Marc,
> >
> > Seems to me that the pest control guys down here use a common kitchen
> > chemical (white powder) such as Arm & Hammer stuff to fight hard shelled
> > insects. The last time we had a carpenter ant invasion, this stuff was used
> > along with some more toxic stuff. Wish I could remember what it was. I'm
> > sure someone else will know.
> >
> > Don
> >
> > mburack@mindspring.com writes:
> >

> > > For those of you who dont grow plants in South Florida, I am doubtful that you could understand the "unreal" insect problem "we" deal with here.
> > >
> > > I have been looking for a way to kill a lot! of ants without having to use serious pesticides (I save the serious stuff for the more "colorful" groups of pest insects).
> > >
> > > Ants regularly invade and nest in every available pot I have and farm every miserable pest imaginable.  Does anyone know of a good and fairly benign product that can be flooded on the plant as well as into the soil with good result?
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > >
> > > Marc

"Microsoft is to software what McDonalds is to gourmet cooking"

Krzysztof Kozminski
kk@kozminski.com
http://www.kozminski.com/