Re: Re: Ants! Every kind, Everywhere!

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: Re: Ants! Every kind, Everywhere!
  • From: magrysbo@shu.edu
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 22:18:57 -0600 (CST)

Don't confuse these with the short dark brown sticks. Those are chocolate
covered ants.

                    <mburack@minds
                    pring.com>           To:     Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
                    Sent by:             cc:
                    aroid-l@mobot.       Subject:     Re: Re: Ants! Every kind, Everywhere!
                    org

                    01/23/2002
                    11:37 AM
                    Please respond
                    to aroid-l

This sounds interesting John (although it probably is a "formed" boric acid
product).  Dont you think there could be potential problems, when the ants
eat stuff like this (and boric acid) then procede to go back into the nest
in the pot and die.  Now you have hundreds or thousands of dead ants
decomposing all with boric acid content (or other poison) leeching into the
soil???

aroid-l@mobot.org wrote:
> off the record, there is a chinese product called "miracle ant chalk"
that comes 2 three-inch sticks of white chalk per $2 yellow and orange
cardboard box. it is not licensed and therefore not available from
nurseries, but can be found
in chinatown groceries in major cities. it is said to contain pyrethrum or
pyrethroids. works well indoors or on clay pots - just a single line across
the ants column leads to the death of hundreds within hours. might be
impractical on
dirt and probably not good to use if toddlers are around as it looks just
like blackboard chalk.

john smolowe

Donald Burns wrote:

> Marc,
>
> Seems to me that the pest control guys down here use a common kitchen
> chemical (white powder) such as Arm & Hammer stuff to fight hard shelled
> insects. The last time we had a carpenter ant invasion, this stuff was
used
> along with some more toxic stuff. Wish I could remember what it was. I'm
> sure someone else will know.
>
> Don
>
> mburack@mindspring.com writes:
>

> > For those of you who dont grow plants in South Florida, I am doubtful
that you could understand the "unreal" insect problem "we" deal with here.

> > I have been looking for a way to kill a lot! of ants without having to
use serious pesticides (I save the serious stuff for the more "colorful"
groups of pest insects).

> > Ants regularly invade and nest in every available pot I have and farm
every miserable pest imaginable.  Does anyone know of a good and fairly
benign product that can be flooded on the plant as well as into the soil
with good result?