Re: P. tortum a.k.a. 'spider Philo., etc.

  • Subject: Re: P. tortum a.k.a. 'spider Philo., etc.
  • From: "Eduardo Goncalves" <edggon@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 15:43:04 -0600 (CST)

Just a (not so) quick note:

    Philodendron tortum has been collected by me from Manaus area to
Northwestern Brazil. I have collected lots of it in Acre state as well as in
extreme Northwestern Amazonas state (near Tabatinga) so it is also probable
to occur in eastern Peru and Eastern Colombia. It can be recognized by the
finelly dissected leaves and hooked prophylls.
     True Philodendron pinnatifidum has very short stem and the petioles are
usually purple-speckled. It is somewhat rare in cultivation. I also have
collected true P. distantilobum in Acre and Northern Rondonia state, and
usually it also have hooked prophylls, but the divisions of leaves are wider
and fewer. Well, about P. angustisectum, I have to confess that I have never
seen nothing that could really be reffered by this name. It also have finely
dissected leaves, but doens´t seem to have hooked prophylls, and the
peduncles are shorter than the spathe (they are longer than the spathe in P.
distantilobum and P. tortum).

                        Best wishes,

Eduardo G. Goncalves
Laboratorio de Fitoquimica