Virused (wormed) "party" message from Aroid-L

  • Subject: Virused (wormed) "party" message from Aroid-L
  • From: Steve Marak <samarak@arachne.uark.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 21:48:36 -0600 (CST)

As many (many, many) of you have noticed, the posting from Alan earlier
today was actually not from Alan but rather a worm using Alan's computer.
Alan of course figured this out slightly later, and immediately sent
another note to the list to warn people. Alan's note said, in part:

It appears that my laptop has received a new email virus earlier this
afternoon.  It also appears to have sent this virus onto everyone in
my address book.
I have my antivirus software to get updates once a week and apparently
the timing was such that this virus hit me before I got the necessary
updated virus definitions.  Needless to say, I now have set my
antivirus software to get daily updates.

My apologies for any trouble this may have caused anyone.

Alan also included some web references to help anyone who may have seen
the warning too late or whose AV software let it get through. I will post
his message momentarily.

Bad timing contributed to the problem - I haven't read Aroid-L traffic for
several days. Due to network problems, Don was offline this evening (and
still is, as I write this); he alerted me by phone, I just got home and am
sorting through the accumulated responses from all the virus scanners out
there that - fortunately - caught this.

We apologize for missing this, as we normally don't allow attachments to
go out on Aroid-L (and this is one of several reasons why). The list
processor itself has no automatic facilities to do this for us, so it's a
human-driven process, and therefore prone to error.

Normal, un-virused traffic will resume shortly. In the interest of
avoiding duplicated information, we'll not post messages warning about the
virus unless then contain unique information.

-- Steve Marak
-- samarak@arachne.uark.edu