Re: Plants The sixth sense

  • Subject: Re: Plants The sixth sense
  • From: Paul Tyerman <ptyerman@ozemail.com.au>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 21:56:28 -0600 (CST)

Howdy All,

It's interesting seeing someone else writing about this as it has been
something that intrigued me for a long time.

My particular thing that stood out is that certain vines have tiny yellow
nodules on their stems, that mimic the eggs of their main predator.  They
are the right size, shape and colour.  The predator comes along, sees these
eggs and thinks that its brethren has already been there and therefore they
do not lay their own eggs there.

My thoughts on that were..... I know that the fittest survive and therefore
go on to reproduce, but the natural chances of a particular vine producing
nodules that mimic the eggs of their only predator is phenomenally small.
There has to be some way that they register the presence of these eggs and
more importantly their COLOUR.  Nodules occuring naturally on a wine is
"relatively" possible I suppose, but then colouring the same colour and
shade as the eggs?  How is this explained?  I cannot see any other
explanation than that they have some method of sensing their surroundings
in a far more thorough method than we realise, including colours.

Certainly is something to think about.

Paul Tyerman

Growing.... Galanthus, Erythroniums, Fritillarias, Cyclamen, Crocus,
Cyrtanthus, Liliums, Hellebores, Aroids, Irises plus just about anything
else that doesn't move!!!!!