[aroid-l] Taxonomy for horticulturalists available for FREE !!!!

  • Subject: [aroid-l] Taxonomy for horticulturalists available for FREE !!!!
  • From: "Wilbert Hetterscheid" hetter@worldonline.nl
  • Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 08:09:48 +0100

Fellow aroiders,

As some of you know I have a "secret" life as taxonomist of cultivated
plants and have been developing some new ideas in this department as well as
cooperating in writing up the Cultivated Plant Code. Recently a paper was
published in the Horticultural Reviews (vol. 28) of which I am co-author.
This paper was initiated by and is first-authored by the Chief Potatoe (or
was that "potato"?) Taxonomist of the USA, dr. David Spooner of the
University of Wisconsin (where last year an Amorphophallus titanum
flowered!!!! I suspect a conspiracy here........). Together with him and two
other Dutch colleagues we wrote a review paper on plant taxonomy from a
horticultural perspective and behold, you can get this 60 pages (AUCH!!!)
paper for free on the internet when you follow the link:

http://www.wiley.com/cda/product/0,,0471215422,00.html

On that page click on "read exerpt" and you get a full scale PDF version of
the paper.

The first half of the paper deals mostly with more general taxonomic
principles and terms, the second half deals more specifically with the new
ideas of the taxonomy of cultivated ("domesticated") plants. This paper may
not be everyone's beef of this discussion list but I know some of you are
interested, so have fun with it.

Cheerio,
Wilbert (aka Lord P.)