Re: [aroid-l] soils for raised beds

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] soils for raised beds
  • From: "Clarence Hammer" chammer@cfl.rr.com
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 22:58:54 -0500

Highly destructive microscopic nematodes are a way of life in Florida soils.
If you have these in your soil where you are, I would definitely not have
ground contact with your raised beds.  They will even travel up
thru bottom holes in pots if the two soils are touching.

I think much depends on the climate in your area of the country as to what
your soil mix is made of.
Florida potting mixes in my humble opinion require extra drainage in the
form of ground bark or coarse
perlite.  Climates with much less humidity might require extra organic
ingredient to retain more moisture.
Of course in a greenhouse you can control much of this regardless of climate
unless you leave it open
air in the summer like I do.  I prefer a mix like Fafard 3 mix (peat and
composted bark) with extra
bark and extra perlite.
central Fla