[aroid-l]  Alocasia pollination & pollen storage tips?

  • Subject: [aroid-l]  Alocasia pollination & pollen storage tips?
  • From: "Eugene Hoh" hohe@symphony.net.au
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 18:44:22 +1100

Dear All,

I have an Alocasia longiloba 'Lowii' starting to bloom (the first of 2 inflorescences is now opening)  and would like to cross-pollinate it, perhaps with the local wild species, A. brisbanensis. Unfortunately most Alocasias in Sydney gardens seem to have finished flowering now.  But if I'm lucky enough to find a very late-blooming plant shedding pollen, I'd like to keep some for long enough to pollinate both A. longiloba inflorescences.

So - does anyone have any tips to share on Alocasia pollination and pollen storage?

p.s. I was meant to post some (backyard hack) tips on pollinating Philodendron but actually got too busy with my own plants - however I can do so if anyone's still interested.

Eugene Hoh
Sydney, Australia