Re: [aroid-l] OT: NY Times Rafflesia article

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] OT: NY Times Rafflesia article
  • From: Steve Marak samarak@gizmoworks.com
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 23:49:33 -0600 (CST)

Hmmm ... sorry, everyone, a friend sent me the link, and I did not have to
register or do anything to access it, and I don't recall that I ever did.
But I've checked my browser and apparently sometime in the dark past I
did. (Registration is free, of course, but a pain.)

I tracked down the home page of Dr. Todd Barkman, of Western Michagan
University, quoted in the NYT article and lead author on the paper. His
home page is interesting if you like Rafflesia:

http://homepages.wmich.edu/~tbarkman/rafflesia/Rafflesia.html

but does not really talk about the new paper. The paper was published
online; the abstract can be seen (free) at:

http://www.pnas.org/cgi/content/abstract/101/3/787

The gist is the separation of Rafflesia and Mitrastema, traditionally
classified together, into Malpighiales and Ericales respectively, from
mitochondrial DNA studies.

Steve

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004, Wilbert Hetterscheid (prive) wrote:

> This is restricted. I couldn't get in. Now what?
>
> Cheerio,
> Wilbert

-- Steve Marak
-- samarak@gizmoworks.com