[Aroid-l] bent amorphophallus

  • Subject: [Aroid-l] bent amorphophallus
  • From: Brian Williams pugturd@alltel.net
  • Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2005 18:04:16 -0500

Their seems to be a lot of different reasons for Amorphophallus and other plants to bend over. It can be from growing very weak or wind rot or not enough nutrition. I find that some plants can look very different depending on the situation. Some bananas that grow huge will stay shorter do to the bad winds here. As do many of the Amorphophallus. My Paeonifolius in the greenhouse was around 10ft tall but the very similar form outside was only around 6ft tall very thick and squatty. The bulbs were about the same size but because of situations they looked very different. Not to mention your soil can be a problem also. I have been growing many Amorphophallus in beds using regular KY farm dirt with great luck as its very similar to what they normally grow in. A bit like clay but drains well. But if grown shallow in a very fluffy airy dirt like most use. When forming a flower many species have few to no roots and with lose dirt the plant can shift or even fall over.
Aroid-l mailing list