Re: [Aroid-l] Peltandra sagittifolia (?)

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Peltandra sagittifolia (?)
  • From: Sue Thompson sthomp@andrew.cmu.edu
  • Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 15:21:35 -0500

Peltandra sagittifolia is indeed a very distinct species and, in my opinion, is one of the prettiest aroids, especially for North American species! Although superficially similar to Peltandra virginia, it differs in vegetative, floral, and fruit characters as well as habitat. It grows in acidic bogs along the coastal plain of the U.S. and is listed as a "species of conservation concern" in several states. The spathe is white and the berries mature to a bright red. I recall a nursery in South Carolina, that specializes in native species, having it for sale several years ago, but I can't remember the nursery's name. I think it was in Aiken, SC.

Sue Thompson
Pittsburgh, PA