Re: [Aroid-l] Peltandra sagittifolia (?)

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Peltandra sagittifolia (?)
  • From: Adam Black epiphyte1@earthlink.net
  • Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 19:58:11 -0500

Here in north Florida, P. sagittifolia is very habitat specific and spotty in distribution. Seems that whenever I have found it, there has always been the pitcher plant Sarracenia minor growing nearby, which also has an irregular distribution, rare but locally common in the right areas - acidic sphagnum boggy areas with little or no overhead tree cover and minimal amounts of other types of weedy smothering vegetation. They are easy to overlook, as the plants are small, but when blooming, the beautiful snowy white spathe stands out like a sore thumb. Wherever you find one, there are always more in the general vicinity. Definately much more rare than P. virginica, which seems more common growing as an aquatic emergent in shady areas, especially along rivers and creeks. I can email digital images of both species in habitat to anyone interested.

Adam Black

Craig Presnell wrote:

The obvious visual difference between P. virginica and P. sagittifolia is
that in the latter the upper 2/3s of the spath is white and the berries
ripen to a bright red , whereas P. virginica has a green spath and
greenish-brown berries.  I can't help but think those two characteristics
alone would be a welcome addition to a collection.

I know it is listed as rare in Fl and Ga....and I suspect across its entire
range, but still have hopes it is available somewhere.  I have seen
pictures of it in collections in Germany, for one and mention made of it in
Great Britain.

Aroid-l mailing list

Aroid-l mailing list