[Aroid-l] Araceae from New Caledonia?

  • Subject: [Aroid-l] Araceae from New Caledonia?
  • From: Adam Black epiphyte1@earthlink.net
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 20:04:08 -0500

Hi all,

Does anyone know of any native aroids from New Caledonia? I have seen that Epipremnum pinnatum occurs there, but wanted to know if any other aroids (particualrly Rhaphidophora, Amydrium, and Alocasia) were present there as natives.

I am writing a book on the natural history and captive care of some types of geckos from New Caledonia, and wanted to devote a portion of the book to making naturalistic setups including native plants that one would be able to purchase from specialty nurseries without too much difficulty. As far as Aroids go, E. pinnatum fits that profile well, but figured there must be some other species that isn't too rare in cultivation that might be suitable for use in a terrarium.
Going off topic, any suggestions for other non-aroid species native to New Caledonia that may fit this profile would be appreciated. I already am aware of the commonly available New Caledonian ferns such as Platycerium bifurcatum, Asplenium nidum, Blechnum gibbum. I have seen listing for native species of Hoya, Lycopodium, Bulbophyllum, but no species were mentioned. Also listed were some other obscure genera of ferns and orchids not likely to be found without a diligent search. There must be something else out there (Dischidia???, Nepenthes???, Begoniaceae???, Gesneriaceae???), that is suitable for a large terrarium that is native to New Caledonia, and is at least somewhat available in cultivation. Any help would be appreciated. Please reply off list as you see fit!

Thanks!

Adam Black