RE: [Aroid-l] Anthurium fruiting

  • Subject: RE: [Aroid-l] Anthurium fruiting
  • From: Thomas.Croat@mobot.org
  • Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 14:04:30 -0600

Lynn:  You may be correct. I have never actually handled the little filaments because they are so tiny but the berries are almost universally equipped with a VERY stick mucilage on the seeds themselves which can stick to anything.  I sometimes have to lick them off my fingers and spit them out to get them onto a piece of paper.  These appendages are quite variable, sometimes on both ends, sometimes only on one end and sometimes the entire seed is enclosed in a mucilaginous sack.  The Mexican species that I know tend to have a pasty mesocarp and lack the sticky appendages as I recall, then Mexican species differ in every way from the rest of the genus.

Tom