Re: Philo ID

  • Subject: Re: Philo ID
  • From: brian lee <lbmkjm@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 04:46:59 -0800 (PST)

Dear Russ,

The leaf and the stem photos point to a hybrid of
Philodendron bipinnatifidum...the intravaginal
squamules are typical of this species.  There is a
hybrid called Philodendron x evansii that resembles
this, which is a Philodendron bipinnatifidum crossed
with Philodendron speciosum...and is intermediate
between them.  There will be variations that
intergrade between one species and the other in this
cross.  Philodendron speciosum has very different
intravaginal squamules and some crosses will trend
toward these.  I do not have as much interest in
hybrids myself...but there are many of them out there.

At some point, we need to locate some good habitat
photographs of the subgenus Meconostigma to determine
the full range of variations within the current
species concepts.  There are many hybrids out there
and as wild populations disappear, it will be
increasingly difficult to clarify some of these