Re: Unknown velvet Anthurium

  • Subject: Re: Unknown velvet Anthurium
  • From: "Tom Croat" <Thomas.Croat@mobot.org>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 11:11:54 -0600

Dear Lup San:

            Genevieve Ferry has suggested Anthurium dressleri for your plant but the blade is much more broadly ovate in A. dressleri and that species also has ribs on the petioles.  Does you plant have ribbed petioles?  It is like to be some other, perhaps undescribed member of Anthurium section Cardiolonchium.  There are so many like this in Colombia and Ecuador.  I was recently studying sect. Cardiolonchium from Nariño and found that I collected three species in the same small area along the Río Imbi and all are likely to be undescribed. One I have already named as Anthurium triciafrankie Croat. Presumably someone knows the origin of the plant but has not passed it along.  If you know more let me know.

Tom