Re: Does this Anthurium look familiar?

  • Subject: Re: Does this Anthurium look familiar?
  • From: Adam Black <epiphyte1@earthlink.net>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 12:51:36 -0500

Hi Windy,

I bought this plant from Tropiflora years ago that was tagged as A. rzedowskii, but quickly learned it didn't match the description of the true A. rzedowskii:

Back then, I also asked on this list for help in identifying this plant. The only helpful response I remember was from Dewey Fisk (couldn't find it in the archives, may have been a private email) saying that this plant had appeared for sale from time to time under this name, and that they all originated directly from a grower in Hawaii. Unfortunately the nursery was unable to provide any helpful details on this plant's origin.

Attached is a picture of my plant that sadly dropped dead for unknown reasons the year I purchased it. It was a very distinctive plant, with the overlapping lobes and thick bulate leaves held upward on long petioles. I have not seen this plant available anywhere since then, but hope to come across another to add to my collection.

Hope this was of some help.

Windy Aubrey wrote:
Hi Aroiders,
I need a little ID help.
I bought this Anthurium at a local nursery some time ago with the tag labeled 'Anthurium rzedowskii'.
The nursery had it out in bright light and it was really suffering with scorched blades and dry conditions.  It took years to bring it back, but now it seems happier.  It has been a very slow grower only producing a few new blades each year.  It seems to like moister conditions and lower light.
I'm not sure if it was labeled correctly and was wondering if anyone could tell me if they have this in their collection and if the name is correct, or what the name might be.
It is unlike any other Anthurium we have, specially with it's fibrous trunk.  Also, the way the petioles do not brake off easily when the blades grow old and fade, but must be cut to be removed.
Thanks for any input,

JPEG image

Aroid-L mailing list