Re: Article about Roberto Burle Marx

  • Subject: Re: Article about Roberto Burle Marx
  • From: brian lee <lbmkjm@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 08:19:31 -0800 (PST)

Dear Susan and all,

Aloha and mahalo for forwarding this article to the forum.

Roberto Burle-Marx's legacy is one worth perpetuating.  To this day I am grateful that a set of lucky coincidences allowed me to meet Roberto.  To be his friend, was an amazing experience.  I can hardly begin to describe it.  The hole that was left at his passing is now filled with marvelous memories.  Many of the plants we collected together are at the Sitio as well as Rio Botanical Gardens, the Ruschi Museum, and other ex-situ collections around Brazil.  Most of the areas are completely altered or destroyed, so these collections are even more valuable today.  Roberto always spoke out against the destruction, so I do hope that part of his message prevails.

Most of you will know Roberto for his aroid collection, but that was such a small part of the man, his work, and life.  If you ever have the opportunity to visit his Sitio and the collections; you will get a small taste of the experience.

Thank you again for forwarding this article.  It is important for the next generation of plant people, landscape designer, or the curious, to learn more about Burle-Marx's work and life philosophies.

Aloha,

Leland