Update on Joep Moonen

Many of you know, or at least know of, Joep Moonen in French Guiana.  Joep (yupe) corresponds with several of us including Julius and Leland all the time and has been honored to have a number of aroids named in his honor including Anthurium moonenii,  "Philodendron joepii" and others.   As I explained in the early summer Joep suffered a stroke which affected the right side of his body but he has been recovering from that horrible incident.  He is again leading tours into the rain forest and walks a great deal as well as riding his bike again.  But to make the situation worse Joep fell victim to malaria a few months back and lost a great deal of weight as a result.  He wrote earlier this week to tell me he was having a scheduled surgery (the third one for the same ailment) mid week this past week and his wife Marijke wrote yesterday to tell us he is recovering and should be home shortly.  Since Joep is a close friend and very important to many of the members of the International Aroid Society I wanted to keep you up to date.  If you have his email address I'm sure he'd appreciate hearing from you.

If you have ever considered making a trip to a rain forest to see the plants and animals in the wild Joep is a great guide!  Dr. Croat calls him his "eyes and ears in the forest".  If you'd like information on his trips drop me a private note and I'll give you his address.

Steve Lucas

fn:Steve  Lucas

Aroid-L mailing list