Re: Philodendron pedatum?

  • Subject: Re: Philodendron pedatum?
  • From: "Denis" <denis@skg.com>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 11:30:42 -0500

Have you considered the possibility that this may be a hybrid Philodendron with P. squamiferum in the parentage. Every aroid plant out there does not have to fall into a species category. Philodendrons have been out there in the house plant and interiorscape  industry for many years. And, hybrids have been made to try and improve this very popular and easy to grow genus of aroids.

Just to make my point I have a story to tell. A friend who was an orchid judge traveled to an Orchid Show in South America and while traveling in the countryside there he found in a local market place some new and different Dieffenbachia plants.  The thought popped into his head that I am in a remote village, these must be new species propagated by a  local plantsmen. So he bought some and brought them back to his nursery in the USA. He was very surprised to learn from his son that these were new Hybrid varieties produced in Tissue Culture labs for the house plant industry. The moral to the story is that even in a remote location, it is a small world and there are plant lovers there who want the newest and best plants, and of course Don’t assume every plant is a species.

Denis

Silver Krome Gardens, Inc

Homestead Florida