Re: Anthurium elegans taxonomy (Tom Croat)

  • Subject: Re: Anthurium elegans taxonomy (Tom Croat)
  • From: Jason Hernandez <jason.hernandez74@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 09:21:21 -0800 (PST)

You have to understand, too, that taxonomy will always be in flux.  If a taxonomist analyses a genus, and concludes that it is all correct just as it stands, then he will have nothing to publish.  So of course he will make changes.  That is why it is called "doing a revision" -- we can take for granted that changes will be made, since every taxonomist has a somewhat different species concept than everyone else. I doubt if anyone is purely a "lumper" or a "splitter;" rather, everyone has different ideas as to the relative importance of any given variable trait.

One of the strangest revisions I saw recently: I was looking at a list of flora of the Dominican Republic, and I saw that both Antirrhinum (snapdragons) and Linaria (toadflax) were listed under Plantaginaceae, not the Scrophulariaceae where I have been accustomed to seeing them.

Jason Hernandez

Message: 4