Re: [Arisaema-l] A. griffithii source

  • Subject: Re: [Arisaema-l] A. griffithii source
  • From: Ken Mosher <ken@spatulacity.com>
  • Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2014 04:50:49 -0500

I agree with you except for Spring Hill.  The plants aren't first rate but when ordering online you get what you ordered, sometimes with a backorder. They have never charged me for a plant that they didn't ship and they honor their lifetime warranty exactly like they claim.  If you place a claim against a plant that's not available any more they will issue you a credit but you can call/write and they will send a check.

I'm not endorsing Spring Hill, just correcting what I thought was in error.  I think their plants are very often hugely overpriced.  For perennials, for example, they ship liners at the same price you can get a grown-on plant at a nursery.  The quality of their dormant perennials isn't too good. Their late-season sales are to get rid of left over plants that very often don't do well.  BUT, they honor the warranty.  I usually order a few things from them. Some of it does really great and the stuff that doesn't gets a warranty claim.

Van Bourgondien, on the other hand, ships absolute crap and has a one-time-only warranty replacement.  I don't think that a nursery should necessarily warranty plants at all outside of promising to ship healthy stock. vanB doesn't even bother with that!  And if Spring Hill wants to ship well overpriced plants with a lifetime warranty then I am glad them take them up on it when a plant fails.