Re: Fenestrated aroids

At 09:19 AM 1/14/97 -0600, you wrote:
>Hermine, you're thinking of the Madagascar Lace Leaf Plant, Apotamogeton
>(spelling?) fenestralis, which Albert Greenberg of Everglades Aquatic
>Nurseries in Tampa used to sell to aquarists back in the 1950's and
>1960's.  Albert contracted river blindness (or some other tropical
>parasite or disease that causes blindness) while collecting aquatic plants
>in Madagascar.  This is not an aroid, but I don't know what plant family
>it does belong to.
>
>Neal R. Foster, U.S. Department of Interior, USGS-Biological Resources
>Division, Great Lakes Science Center, 1451 Green Road, Ann Arbor, Michigan
>48105-2807;  Phone [+voicemail]: (313)994-3331-x264; FAX: (313)994-8780;
>e-mail: nealfost@umich.edu
>
>Thnks for jogging my memory. It was (aponogeton fenestralis) very
expensive in the 50's..$25.00 Or more and seemed not to do well. I had
aquariums then only as an excuse to have aquatic plants, having little
interest in fishes. Aponogeton and Cryptocoryne (which is an aroid) were my
2 favorite genus(es). Aquararium Stock  Co, (Axelrod's place) was my #1
place because they did have a large # of plants. Most shops had only
animals and 2 or 3 kinds of plants.

>> of failing memory,

Hermine