RE: A.lewallei

Dear MJ,

I am surprised to read about the rhizomatous first "tuber" of lewallei
seedlings. My own seedlings always produced a tuber. What do you do to
the seedlings? Could it be that you broke off the offsets and missed the
small main tubers? I know that even the tiniest tubers of lewallei
produce the typical rhizomatous offsets. It is only logical that they
won't grow right away just after the onset of dormancy. The tips of
these offsets often seem to be in development when dug up, so that
figures. But that is not to say they will develop leaves. They are just
"grown" by the main tuber that feeds them and keeps them elongating. All
this makes me fear you have missed the main tubers, or they have rotted
away before digging up.

Rhizomatous offsets generally are prone to desiccation when still small,
thin etc. Better keep 'em in soil.

Cheers,
Wilbert