Re: Lurher I guess I amW. Fl and am on another collection. After

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: Lurher I guess I amW. Fl and am on another collection. After
  • From: Denis <denis@skg.com>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2000 14:43:28 -0500 (CDT)

Dear Joe: Sorry to be so late in response to your E-mail but I was on
vacation for two weeks and have not had time to respond to the e-mails
on  Aroid L.

In reference to the Unidentified Pachyneurium from Dr Birdsey's
Backyard; he used to have a clump of what he called Anthurium
crassinervium variety cripimarginatum under the pine trees in bright
shade. The mature plants were 5 to 6 feet tall with narrow (8 to 10"
wide) very upright dark green, thick leaves with prominent veins and
very wavy margins. He gave me a bunchof seeds one year at our
propagation meeting in the eighties and at the time I thought the
resulting plants were too tall and too prone to bacteria for commercial
nursery production. Since his plant were growing "au natural"and showed
no signs of bacterial infection, Monroe thought that the susceptibility
to bacteria was a result of growing under a fiberglass roof which
blocked the beneficial spectrum of the sun's light.  Subsequently, in
1992 we were run over by Hurricane Andrew and lost the one or two plants
that we had held onto.  If this is not the plant to which you are
referring I don't know of any other bird nest types I can recall
Monroe's yard that fit your description. Maybe somebody else's
recollection is better than mine...I've been known to be wrong a lot

Denis at Silver Krome Gardens
Homestead Florida
Lurker and sometimes Lunkhead