Re: Anthurium trinidadensis

Sounds like a nice plant. I like 'em BIG too!

This plant may be Anthurium jenmanii. Synonymous with "jenmanii" is
"trinitatis". You will find both of these species names referenced on the
website Anthurium species list.

To determine the above names and relationship I went to Tropicos3. If you
have not used this resource, I suggest you become familiar with it. Used
properly it can be a very powerful tool. Follow the link from
<www.mobot.org>. Anyway, the name "trinidadensis" shows up no where on
Tropicos3. So I started to shorten the species name until I hit a similar
name, "trinitatis". From that point I called up the additional Tropicos
resources and found that the plant is endemic to Venezuela, the Guianas as
well as Trinidad and Tobago. Sounds like we are getting close.

Using jenmanii as a valid species name I searched the Aroideana Index
(another really handy tool available from the IAS) to locate what has been
written in Aroideana. Several references are in the index. A. jenmanii is
described by Tom Croat in Vol.9 (1-4), page 39. His description resembles,
in part, what you told us.

>Have just been given a very nice plant labelled Anthurium trinidadensis. Does
>anyone know anything about this species? I cant find the name listed
>anywhere, its not on the Anthurium species list on Aroid-L or in the books I
>have by Tom Croat. The parent plant was very large, about 5 feet high and is
>a semi-scandent, shrubby species with very oblong-lanceolate leaves, very
>smooth, without glands and hardly any visible veins except the central vein,
>rather tough also. Is this a 'good' name and is the species endemic to the
>West Indies or more widespread? Any info gratefully received. Will post a pic
>on my website in due course.
>Geoffrey Kibby

Don Burns
Fort Lauderdale FL    USA