Typical seed count of Amorphophallus titanum

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Typical seed count of Amorphophallus titanum
  • From: Jack Honeycutt <jhoneycutt@uswest.net>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2000 23:35:25 -0500 (CDT)

The current issue of Hobby Greenhouse Magazine (http://www.orbitworld.net/hga/)
has an article called "Famous Blooms Reveal the Fruits of Their Labor".  It
talks about self pollination of A. titanum at Huntington Botanical Gardens.

The article did not say how many seeds were produced from this self
pollination.  But it did say that two blooms at Shelby (not selfed)
produced 220 "bright orange berries" which I assume will produce about 220
or so fertile seeds.

When two flowers mature at about the same time in the wild, about how many
seeds are produced?

When one is lucky enough to have two flowers bloom about the same time in a
botanical garden, what are typical seed counts?

I assume that A. titanum can reproduce by tubers? That is to say, could I
divide a plant's tubers and send them to friends so they could start a plant?

Generally speaking, about what is the time frame from seed to flower for A.
titanum?  Would a plant started from seed, flower any sooner than a plant
started from a tuber?

Thank you for putting up with my many questions.  As money permits, I hope
to buy more back issues of Aroideana and answer many of the above questions

jack in Portland Oregon