Re: Synandrospadix vermitoxicus

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: Synandrospadix vermitoxicus
  • From: "Eduardo Goncalves" <edggon@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2000 20:40:35 -0500 (CDT)

Dear Jim and Andrew,

     I still don't grow Synandrospadix vermitoxicus, but maybe I have some
information on Spathicarpoids that can be usefull. The first thing is that
most Spathicarpoids like plenty of light. In the field, they are usually
found in disturbed portions of the forest, mainly in sunny spots. Maybe some
direct sunlight (early in the morning, for instance) may make your
Synandrospadix happier. The biggest and strongest plants of Taccarum
warmingii as well as T. weddellianum are found under direct sun! The leaves
are usually slightly yellowish, but the tubers can become really big. Other
thing is that it seems to like well-drained soil. Maybe the substrate you
are using is too heavy for Synandrospadix. It occurs in rocky or somewhat
sandy soils at the Chaco vegetation, usually among spiny shrubs and small
and dangerous spiny trees. Believe me, the Chaco vegetation doesn't look
like the Garden of Eden! I went there once, two years ago, and maybe I still
have some scars... Maybe you should make the habitat of your plant more
harshy! Also, a good clue is to put some limestone (powder) on your
substrate. Most Spathicarpoids (with exception of the helophytes) enjoy it.
If nothing works, buy a ticket to Bolivia and let your plant go home! (Just

                              Best wishes,