Re: Typical seed count of Amorphophallus titanum

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: Typical seed count of Amorphophallus titanum
  • From: "Don Bittel" <dbittel@treco.net>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 18:18:14 -0500 (CDT)

Great information, Donna!  Might you turn this into an article for the
newsletter or Aroideana? There are many members who are not on this list,
and it would be good to get it published.
Also, will there be any seedlings at the IAS auction in Sept?
Thanks

Don Bittel

----------
> From: SelbyHort@aol.com
> To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
> Subject: Re: Typical seed count of Amorphophallus titanum
> Date: Wednesday, July 05, 2000 5:50 PM
>
> Huntington did get seed via an unusual self pollination procedure. This
may
> have been the first time this type of process has been successful. I
heard
> that one of the major US news stations picked the story of their
seedlings in
> the last day or so.
>
> We did have about 200 or so berries at Selby, but not all the fruits
> contained seeds. We got about 80 seeds in all. I did not count them all
> exactly because a few berries were distributed early by other people at
Selby
> and I don't know how many of these contained seeds. Some berries
contained
> two seeds but many contained only one. However, most of the seeds
germinated,
> even the very small ones that I thought might not be viable.
>
> Huntington's plant produced an awesome looking infructescence but this
was
> deceiving. I think they only got a few seeds, but I don't know the total
> number. Many berries formed but most were void since they only pollinated
> few of the stigmas.
>
> BTW, There is another Amorphophallus titanum preparing to flower at Bonn
> Botanical Garden. This immense inflorescence may almost reach the
proportions
> of the record setting flower at New York Botanical Garden in 1937. NYBG
had
> the largest documented inflorescence in cultivation. Bonn is predicting
their
> plant will flower around July 10. Check their web site for daily updates
> (http://www.botanik.uni-bonn.de/botgart/info.htm#aktuell). Most of their
> information is in german but you will find some english here and the
charts
> and photos will tell the story.
>
> Very seldom have seeds been obtained in cultivation. Bonn managed to
obtain
> seeds in 1996, and they reported 450 berries and of these about 70% had
two
> seeds. Leiden obtained a few seeds in 1999 and Palmengarten distributed
seed
> around 1993 or so in their Index Seminum. Two of these plants from the
> Palmengarten seed flowered last year: one at Univ. of Washington Seattle
and
> the other at Huntington. Pollination has been attempted recently at Cal
State
> Fullerton using pollen stored from the Huntington flowering of 1999.
Don't
> know yet if they have been successful.
>
> Don't think its a good idea to "divide" the A. titanum tubers although
there
> are rare times when the tubers may offset in cultivation. The only way to
> reliably propagate this plant is via seed. Time from seed to flowering
> varies, usually at least 5-8 years are required under optimal conditions
but
> earlier flowerings have been recorded.
>
> Donna Atwood
> Selby Gardens
>
> << The current issue of Hobby Greenhouse Magazine
> (http://www.orbitworld.net/hga/)
>  has an article called "Famous Blooms Reveal the Fruits of Their Labor".
It
>  talks about self pollination of A. titanum at Huntington Botanical
Gardens.

>  The article did not say how many seeds were produced from this self
>  pollination.  But it did say that two blooms at Shelby (not selfed)
>  produced 220 "bright orange berries" which I assume will produce about
220
>  or so fertile seeds.
>
>  When two flowers mature at about the same time in the wild, about how
many
>  seeds are produced?
>
>  When one is lucky enough to have two flowers bloom about the same time
in a
>  botanical garden, what are typical seed counts?
>
>  I assume that A. titanum can reproduce by tubers? That is to say, could
>  divide a plant's tubers and send them to friends so they could start a
plant?

>  Generally speaking, about what is the time frame from seed to flower for
A.