Re: Xanthosoma seeds

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Tyerman <tyerman@dynamite.com.au>
To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
Date: Wednesday, July 12, 2000 8:52 PM
Subject: Xanthosoma seeds

>Howdy All,

I have recently received some seeds of a Xanthosoma (species unknown) and
I'm wondering what people would suggest I do to achieve best germination
("Planting them" is a little less than I'm after, just in case anyone was
going to suggest that <grin>).

I know absolutely nothing about this genus, so if anyone has any info I'd
be appreciative.

Cheers.

Paul Tyerman
Canberra, Australia.  USDA equivalent - Zone 8
mailto:tyerman@dynamite.com.au<

Hi Mate,

OK---prepare a semi-deep pot BUT only 1/2 full with a humus-rich mix treated
w/ a fungicide, the best is 'Captan' which does not seem to have an adverse
effect on seed/seedlings, 'Ban-Rot' is also great, and sow the seeds 1/2
buried near the surface of this mix, cover the top of the pot w/
plastic-wrap with a few holes punched in it, put the pot in a well-lit, WARM
spot out of the direct sun, and wait!   When/if they germinate, you can
increase their exposure to the outside world by gradually tearing slightly
larger holes in the plastic wrap, a little bit at a time!!

Use a weak-mixed liquid fert. , and good luck!   Any idea what species they
are??

Cheers,

Julius