Victorias

At 04:49 PM 7/11/2000 -0500, you wrote:

>WOW!   They do their thing in a hurry!   I guess their pools dry out in
>nature??

I saw them growing on the banks of the Amazon river.  The water level
changes with the season, and yes, they get stranded in a mud pool, and die.

>Most people think of Victorias as annuals but actually they are quite
>capable of being perennials.

Yes.  It was sure odd for me to be in Brazil during my winter (I live in
Oregon), and see them growing.  You are correct that in their native
habitat they are perennials.

  Here at
>the Brooklyn Botanic Garden in our Aquatic House we overwintered our
>Victoria Longwood Hybrid this past year.

I was lucky enough to travel the amazon with some folks, one of them being
Pat Nutt who did the original cruziana/amazonica cross that became the
Longwood Hybrid.   That was sure fun.

jack