Re: Caladium bulbs shrinking ?

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: Caladium bulbs shrinking ?
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@email.msn.com>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2000 15:46:38 -0500 (CDT)

-----Original Message-----
From: StellrJ@aol.com <StellrJ@aol.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
Date: Saturday, July 15, 2000 12:22 PM

In a message dated 7/14/00 6:49:47 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
ju-bo@email.msn.com writes:

<< IF they have enough 'growing season' they do fine and increase in tuber
size
and quantity EVERY year >>

>Hmmm...I tended to think of Caladuim as a house plant.  Is that incorrect?
do know what they only lived a short while in my house before turning into a
pot of empty soil....This was when I lived in New England.

Jason Hernandez
Naturalist-at-Large<

Jason---

For the information of the 'Northerners', this is EXACTLY what I was
saying--- they are grown commercially here in Florida as annuals for the
Norherners, who can not/do not provide a long-enough growth period with
close to optimum conditions for tuber production!   IF we want to, we
'Southerners' can and DO grow them for MANY summer seasons!!

Cheers,

Julius
W.P.B., Florida.