Re: Caladium bulbs shrinking ?

Thanks so much for pointing me to your site. I've been enjoying going through

Julius, there is a pic of Caladium 'Florida Calypso' there but mine have a
lot more color in the leaves...vivid almost florescent pink splotches with
heavy red veins and white spotches that light up the whole blade. Downright
gaudy. 'Florida Sweetheart' is growing as border to the Calypso. There is
some high shifting shade from a pine tree but otherwise pretty sunny in the
mid-afternoon where these two cultivars grow.

I also have 'Florida Fantasy', an almost pure white blade with sharp red
veins and black petioles. This cultivar is really elegant. I have it in more
shade than others (actually they are probably in too much shade).

Two that did not work well for me: 'Florida Elise' did not return this year,
just died off (I left it in the ground along with all others), and 'Florida
Sunrise' which I would not try again because these all reverted to a drab
dark green leaf with very wimpy white cobwebby veins and only traces of red
midveins...I yanked them out this year because they were so substandard.
Perhaps these were not good clones for some reason.

It is good to see in the chart on Derek's site that some of these Caladium
cultivars do not take well to "de-eyeing."

Donna Atwood

<< Donna -  you might like to go to my magazine at www.hortdigest.com  -- go
 there, then click "archives" and go to Issue 4. My article in cladiums is not
 wonderful, but does have a little about the state of the industry and images
 of a number of varieties.