Re: botanical identification assistance

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: botanical identification assistance
  • From: Claude Sweet <sweetent@home.com>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 15:21:09 -0500 (CDT)

Alocasia cucullata is listed by one eBay auction as having a common
name "Giant Heart".

Another eBay auction site lists "Elephant Hearts, Alocasia Heart".
I inquired about their listing and received this reply:

< "Elephant Hearts, Alocasia Heart" is the only thing that was on
< the tag when I bought the original plant about 5 years ago. I have
checked my
< A to Z Encyclopedia from the Amer. Hort. Society and several other
< books I have and have never found a listing for it. Many people have
seen it
< and no one has ever had a different name for it. I am sure someone who
< Alocasia well would identify it in a minute. Unfortunately, this
person, who
< ever that might be, has never seen mine. I am satisfied with the name
< Elephant Hearts. It probably is a name some nursery grower put on an
< standard to make it sell better. Dianne Butler

I have no information I can find on this botanical name and since
neither auction
have attached photos, it is still a mystery plant without a proper

Can anyone in the International Aroid Society can shed some light on
either the
common name and specifically the scientific name Alocasia cucullata?

Thank you for your response.

Claude Sweet
San Diego, CA