Re: hardiness of Sauromatum

Here is my $o2. on Sauromatum:  It is perfectly hardy where I live north
of Seattle (USDA Zone 7). More to the point, it is a weed. I planted
tubers in my garden a dozen years ago for a researcher who studies
thermogenic plants. We were successful in getting a crop, although we
decided to stick to producing the research material in containers, as was
done previously. Ever since, I have been battling this plant in my
garden. It is extremely difficult to get rid of. I would classify it with
Arum maculatum, as potentially invasive, noxious weeds.  Doug

Doug Ewing, Greenhouse Manager (206) 543-0436
Department of Botany
University of Washington
Box 355325
Seattle, WA   98195-5325